When starting a business, you must consider several important things. Starting a business does not only mean filing your documents. It means creating a brand and protecting it from every possible fraud. Trademark registration is a way to safeguard your brand. By registering the trademark, you can protect your brand from getting used by anyone else in the market.
Now, if you wonder where and how to start registering your trademark, here is all the information you need. I have shared a list of the best Trademark Registration Services in 2024. You can easily compare the services and prices available, pick the best-fitted one, and hire them to get things done. Read this page till the end to get all the information regarding Trademark Registration Services.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is Trademark?
- How to Register Trademark?
- Best Trademark Registration Services 2024
- Best Trademark Registration Services – Breakdown
- Why Do You Need Trademark Registration?
- Trademark Protection
What is Trademark?
‘Trademark’ is a word (or phrase) used to differentiate products and services of the same kind legally. Every business (or brand) must register the trademark to avoid miscommunication or misleading information. Not only legally or for business purposes but also differentiates products for the consumers. A trademark is similar to Intellectual Property, which makes a brand, company, and ownership different from others.
How to Register Trademark?
There are two ways of a Trademark registration process. You can either do it yourself, or you can hire a service. The DIY process is a bit longer, whereas the other process is hassle-free. Trademark registration is not a mandatory thing to protect your brand. But, it is recommended to get it registered to avoid any legal issues later. Whether you start an LLC or any other form of business, registering Trademark will protect your brand.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
You must register your Trademark through the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Submit the following documents and the required filing fee and proceed. The following documents/details are required,
- Name, signature, address, and entity type of the applicant
- Types of products and services under the said brand
- Drawing of the Trademark/Logo/Digital Image to be registered
- Details and the description of the Trademark to be registered
- Basis of the filing – whether it is already in use, for future use, foreign applicants, or foreign registration
Hiring a Professional Service
The easy way to register your trademark is to hire a trademark registration service. I have shared the best Trademark registration companies available in the market today. Their services, price, and other features. Check them out and compare them before you select the best one for your brand.
Best Trademark Registration Services 2024
I have come up with 6 names currently providing the industry-best services at affordable prices. Here is the list of Trademark registration services,
- LegalZoom: It is the best service overall. LegalZoom offers attorneys from start to end for the registration process.
- Incfile: Incfile is in the second position. This business formation service provides trademark registration at a reasonable price.
- RocketLawyer: RocketLawayer is another business formation and legal service provider. The company offers a great deal in Trademark registration.
- Trademark Engine: This service is specialized in Trademark registration. It has several plans to choose the best one from.
- Trademark Plus: This is another service that provides Trademark registration at an affordable price.
- Inc Authority: Inc Authority provides Trademark registration at a competitive price. This company provides formation service at $0.
Best Trademark Registration Services – Breakdown
Following are the details of these above-mentioned services for your consideration. Before you select any service for your brand, make sure the service satisfies your requirement. Here are the detailed description of all the Trademark Registration Services,
- Trademark search available
- Several trademark search packages to choose the best one from
- Attorney service from start to end at a competitive price
- Guide to Trademark, Patent, and Copyright
1. Trademark Search: Three packages are available for Trademark Search,
- Federal Search at $199.
- Federal, state, and common law search at $299,
- WorldScan International Search at $499.
2. Trademark Registration: $599 + Federal fee
LegalZoom is a veteran company compared to others. It offers business formation services, running business, attorney services, and any other legal services you need to maintain your business in the United States. In some cases, the price of the services LegalZoom offers is a bit higher than other available companies. But, overall, the company has been making a good impression among entrepreneurs for a long time.
- LegalZoom offers attorney services from start to end
- It offers easy and affordable trademark search packages
- It offers trademark search, trademark registration, and trademark monitoring.
- It is not a law firm, so no direct legal advice is available.
- Other companies offer trademark registration at a lower price.
- Attorney services from registered law firms
- Trademark search, legal papers preparation, and Trademark registration
- Legal services available
- Trademark registration service available at $199 + federal/state fee
Incfile is one of the companies that offer services at a very affordable price. It offers LLC formation for free. The price of Trademark registration is also comparatively low in Incfile. Like, LegalZoom, Incfile is also not a legal firm. Hence, it outsources the attorney services. Even after that, the company offers an affordable price for attorney services.
- It is cheaper
- Provides Trademark search, legal papers preparation, and Trademark registration services
- Provides attorney services from certified law firms
- Provides state and federal trademarks
- It is not a legal firm. Hence, attorney services can be a bit more expensive than an in-house attorney.
- Customer service is slow and difficult to reach
- Slow refund policy
- It offers all types of legal services, including attorneys
- membership is available on a monthly/yearly basis
- Members can enjoy discounts on various services, free legal consultations, and many other services.
- They have excellent customer service
RocketLawyer offers monthly and annual memberships. Monthly membership is available at $39.99 a month, and the yearly membership is available at $239.99 a year (half price after the current discount)
For the non-members, attorney consultation, legal documents preparation, business incorporation, registered agent services, and other services are pricey.
RocketLawyer is very easy to use and affordable. It offers a 7-day free trial. You can cancel anytime you want. RocketLawyer provides similar services to LegalZoom but at a much lower price. Also, the annual membership plan includes huge discounts and free services. RocketLawyer also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. It is affordable and has great customer service.
- Free LLC formation for members
- Discounts on attorney services for members
- 7-day free trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Smooth customer service
- All services are pricey for non-members.
- No discounts/free services for non-members
- Membership looks expensive if you don’t need legal services.
- It specializes in Trademark registration.
- It offers various packages for Trademark only.
- 24-hour processing is available.
- Trademark search, registration, and Trademark monitoring are available.
- Basic Package at $99: Trademark hit-search, USPTO e-filing, e-delivery
- Standard Package at $149: Trademark hit-search, USPTO e-filing, e-delivery, one-month Trademark monitoring, cease & desist letter, custom assignment/transfer document
- Delux Package at $199: Trademark hit-search, USPTO e-filing, e-delivery, one-month Trademark monitoring, cease & desist letter, custom assignment/transfer document, 24-hour expedited filing, and private filing.
Why Trademark Engine
Trademark Engine is one such company that specializes in Trademark services. Hence, you will get experts. The company offers affordable prices for Trademark registration and monitoring. Also, it offers 24-hour expedited filing and private filing. If you want your address to be non-public, it can be possible with Trademark Engine.
- Only Trademark services
- Affordable packages
- 24-hour expedited filing
- One month of trademark monitoring
- The basic package is cheaper than any other service.
- Unnecessary add-on opinions during the check-out process
- Difficult to reach customer service
- Provides Trademark Registration services
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Trademark search, legal paper preparation, Trademark registration service
- Standard Plan at $199: Standard Trademark search, prep, and USPTO filing
- Premium Plan at $299: In-depth Trademark search, Trademark registration with USPTO, Attorney support from start to end
Why Trademark Plus
Trademark Plus offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Besides, it offers an affordable price for Trademark in-depth search, paper preparation, and Trademark e-filing with USPTO. If you compare Trademark Plus with other close competitors, it offers quite a good deal regarding Trademark registration.
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Trademark registration costs $199
- In the premium plan, attorney service is available
- Expertise in Trademark
- Customer service is available with the premium plan
- A cheaper basic package is available
- Inc Authority files Trademark applications within a day. However, the approval takes a lot of time.
- It offers Trademark Express.
- 3-year Trademark monitoring is available
- Trademark renewal reminder
- You need to sign-up with the website to get the price and total package.
Why Inc Authority
Inc Authority offers free LLC formation. If you’re forming an LLC and also protecting your brand, then Inc Authority will be the best choice. Besides, Inc Authority offers Trademark services at an affordable price. Compared with other services available, Inc Authority claims to offer the best price.
- 3-year Trademark monitoring is available
- Affordable Trademark plans
- Attorney service available
- Trademark lawyers/specialists available for guidance
- The price is not transparent.
- Attorney service is not available directly.
Why Do You Need Trademark Registration?
Trademark registration is a potential way to protect your brand legally. Your company logo, digital images, slogan, or visual identity must be safe. This protects your brand name, logo, and slogan so no one else can misuse them.
Trademark registration is not mandatory. You can run your brand without the trademark reserve. However, it is recommended to register your Trademark to avoid any miscommunication in the future. Your brand will be protected legally.
What Can be Trademarked?
- Business name
- Logo, digital image
- Slogan, tagline
- Design or drawing
In the United States, by only registering your brand with USPTO, you will not be able to protect your Trademark legally. Along with registering your mark, you must protect it legally. There are three ways through which you can protect your mark. These are,
If you are using a brand name, logo, or any such thing without registering it, then it falls under the common law trademark. You can register your mark under Common Law Trademark protection. In this case, the rights of your trademark will be restricted to the area/region where you operate your business.
Federal Trademark Protection
In this case, your trademark will be protected nationwide. Once you protect the Trademark, you can operate your business nationwide. Your brand will be protected across the nation.
State Trademark Protection
State Trademark protection will give you rights within the state. The brand name or logo can be used/registered by others outside the state as it was not protected outside the state boundary.
Trademark, Copyright, and Patent – What are the Differences
Copyright and Patent are quite different from Trademarks. Your creation, such as paintings, songs, a piece of music, poetry, and such, are eligible for copyright registration. Your copyright means you can make changes, reuse, or recreate them whenever possible.
Patent, on the other hand, is used for innovations. For example, If you invent something (formula, scientific innovations, etc.) that needs a Patent. Once you get Patents on your innovations, you can change them, recreate them, and reuse them. No one else can change/reuse these products.
A trademark is completely different from these two. Business names, logos, slogans, taglines, digital images, designs, and such can be your trademark to be registered.
A common law trademark lasts for a time till you use your mark. It does not have a specific expiry time. State Trademarks’ expiration depends on the state law. Hence, it varies with the state. Finally, the Federal Trademark lasts for 10 years. It can be renewed after that for another 10 years.
Trademark registration cost starts from $250 and goes up to $750. This is a fee charged by the USPTO. Based on the branding, trademark costs can vary.
The trademark registration process typically takes between 6 and 12 months, depending on the number of potential issues that may arise during the process. Although some applications are approved in significantly less time, it is best to expect a longer wait period; the USPTO regularly receives hundreds of thousands of trademark applications each year, increasing processing time. Furthermore, the trademark office may require additional documents or communication. Therefore, applicants should be prepared to provide all requested information quickly to expedite the registration process.
When registering an international trademark, you must ensure the marks being sought are not too similar to existing marks or trademarks registered in different countries. Additionally, the application process and cost of each registration are unique to each country and must be considered when registering internationally. It is also recommended that businesses establish a comprehensive strategy for protecting their IP at home and abroad—which may include filing for an International Trademark (Madrid Protocol) Registration.
Furthermore, it is important to understand the local customs and laws that are associated with any given country as part of the trademark protection strategy. Lastly, since language barriers can sometimes be an issue when registering a trademark in other countries, it is beneficial to utilize local counsel experienced with international transactions of this type.
To register a trademark, you must first ensure the name or logo you have chosen is eligible. You will then file an application with the USPTO by submitting the appropriate forms and responding to any office actions they may send. Once your trademark is accepted, you must use it consistently in your business activities, including advertising, marketing materials, packaging, and product labels. This can be done by filing maintenance documents for each class of goods or services you’ve applied for protection. An attorney may be able to help ensure that all aspects comply with federal regulations for trademark registration.
What is the Best US State to Apply for Trademark Registration
One of the first decisions you’ll need to make when applying for a trademark registration is selecting the state in which to file. Each state has its own set of rules and regulations when it comes to trademarks, so it’s important to choose wisely.
While there are several factors to consider when choosing the best US state to apply for trademark registration, one of the most important is the state’s reputation for efficiently processing applications. Some states have faster processing times and more streamlined procedures, making it easier for businesses to protect their intellectual property.
Another key factor to consider is the cost of filing for trademark registration in a particular state. Each state has its own fee schedule for trademark applications, and some states may be more expensive than others. It’s important to consider your budget and choose a state that offers the best value for your money.
In addition to processing times and costs, it’s also important to consider the strength of trademark protection offered by each state. Some states have stronger trademark laws and provide better protection for brands, while others may have weaker laws that offer less protection.
Furthermore, you’ll want to take into consideration the geographical reach of your trademark registration. Some states offer broader protection that extends beyond their borders, while others may only provide protection within state lines. If you’re planning to do business nationally or internationally, it’s important to choose a state that offers the broadest reach for your trademark.
Ultimately, the best US state to apply for trademark registration will depend on your specific needs and priorities. Consider factors such as processing times, costs, protection levels, and geographical reach when making your decision. By carefully analyzing these factors and choosing the state that best fits your business’s needs, you can ensure that your brand is properly protected for years to come.
These services are currently the best trademark registration services available in the market. They are affordable, skillful, and provide everything you need. Now, it is your turn to decide which one you will pick up for your brand. Compare the prices and services of all the companies and see which one is the best fit for your brand.