At LLCBuddy, we don't just offer information; we provide a curated experience backed by extensive research and expertise. Led by Steve Goldstein, a seasoned expert in the LLC formation sector, our platform is built on years of hands-on experience and a deep understanding of the nuances involved in establishing and running an LLC. We've navigated the intricacies of the industry, sifted through the complexities, and packaged our knowledge into a comprehensive, user-friendly guide. Our commitment is to empower you with reliable, up-to-date, and actionable insights, ensuring you make informed decisions. With LLCBuddy, you're not just getting a tutorial; you're gaining a trustworthy partner for your entrepreneurial journey.
To obtain EIN for Kansas foreign LLC one has to follow a few steps. Limited Liability Companies are easier to form than other structures of business. However, it is a bit tricky for the LLCs to form a foreign LLC in any of the states. There can be some restrictions for the Foreign LLCs to form a Kansas LLC. Take a look at this article to know about how to obtain EIN for your foreign LLC. It will answer all your questions related to EIN, including the procedure for a foreign entity to obtain EIN, the filing cost, etc.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is a Foreign Limited Liability Company?
- What is an EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
- EIN for a Foreign Entity or Foreign LLC
- Restriction in Business For Foreign Entities In Kansas
What is a Foreign Limited Liability Company?
An LLC is always formed in accordance with the state rules. The state where the LLC is formed is often referred to as the main state for the LLC. It is where the LLC has its main operational center. When the LLC business members are trying to expand the LLC & wish to form it in some other states as well, the LLC is a foreign entity in the new state. The LLC is formed in the new state will be referred to as “Foreign Entity” or “Foreign Corporation” or “Foreign LLC.” Forming the Kansas Foreign LLC is easier & involves obtaining an EIN.
What is an EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
An EIN or Employer Identification Number works as a Social Security Number for your business. An EIN is a unique 9 digit identification code issued to businesses, by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the U.S.S., for tax filing & reporting purposes.
Are EIN, FTIN & FEIN the same?
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also called a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or a Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN). So, there is no difference between these three.
Why Does a Business Need EIN?
An LLC will require EIN for the following reasons:
- To file Tax returns – EIN makes it easy to file the tax returns with the IRS. The IRS uses EIN to supervise all the business finances of the LLC.
- To Hire Employees – To hire employees in the LLC, an Employer will need the EIN. EIN lets the employers set the payrolls of the employee fo every month. IRS tracks the employee’s payroll taxes with the help of the EIN.
- To maintain the corporate veil – In an event where someone has sued the LLC or has filed a lawsuit against it, the EIN protects members’ assets. EIN is an essential part of the company’s corporate veil, which differentiates the business entity from its members.
- To protect the individual Identity of the member – The Limited Liability Company uses EON for all its taxation & finances. Nowhere in the financial process does an LLC use an individual’s Social Security Number; hence the Identity of individual members is kept safe.
- To open a business bank account – Without the EIN, an LLC can’t open a business account. It is essential to get an EIN even for the business credits & business licenses.
When Does IRS Ask for EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
The taxation documents & reports are filed with the IRS, which requires an LLC about its EIN in the following circumstances.
- An EIN is mandatory for an LLC with employees for tax filing & tax returns.
- If the LLC is a multi-member business entity, EIN is required for drawing the partnership return files.
- An EIN is also asked for excise tax filing.
EIN for a Foreign Entity or Foreign LLC
If someone is a foreign person or if the LLC is a foreign LLC, EIN allows them to start the LLC even without the Social Security Number. EIN allows the member of the foreign LLC to collect a payment, distribute the cash in the company & out of the company, hire employees & report or file taxes.
How to Obtain EIN for a Foreign LLC or a Foreign-Owned Corporation?
Following is a step-by-step guide for obtaining an EIN for a Foreign LLC:
- Eligibility – Any person applying for the EIN must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number, e.g., SSN or ITIN; only then can he apply for EIN.
- FORM SS-4 – If a foreign entity does not have a Tax Identification Number, it will have to fill-up the Form SS-4, an EIN application. This form is for foreign applicants who do not have a social security number or a physical address
- Filing the form with the required information – To be able to apply for the EIN, the following information has to be filled out correctly in the application form:
– Legal Name & Address of the Business
– The type of Business Entity
– Reason for the application for an EIN- The name of the country where the business is incorporated
– Number of employees
– The industry in which the LLC does its business
– Accounting Information
- Ways to apply for EIN Kansas–
- Online – An EIN can be obtained by applying online on the IRS website.
- By phone – A foreign entity or LLC can apply for EIN by calling on 267-941-1099, which is NOT a toll-free number.
- By Fax – An EIN can also be obtained by fax. The LLC willing to obtain the EIN can fax Form SS-4 to 304-707-9471
- By Mail – A completed form can be mailed to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Attn: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999.
Restriction in Business For Foreign Entities In Kansas
When a foreign LLC is willing to start its business in Kansas, it has to be well aware of the rules for foreign entities in the state. The entity must follow the guidelines to form a foreign LLC in Kansas. Here are some important points to note,
Transacting Business In the State of Kansas
Kansas State law governs when foreign LLCs are required to collect sales tax. To be obligated to collect sales tax from Iowa citizens, a firm must have a physical presence or nexus in the state. In most cases, this means that the LLC must have a warehouse, a store, or an office functioning in the State or employing a sales representative in the State.
Registering The Business
The business entity must file a Kansas Foreign Limited Liability Company Application with the Kansas Secretary of State Office to register a foreign LLC in Kansas. In addition, proof of existence or a certificate of good standing should be attached with the registration application, issued by the state where the business is originally registered.
Effect of Non Registration
If your Foreign LLC is not registered under Kansas Law, then the following consequences may arise for such a business LLC:
- It shall not be permitted to file a lawsuit in the state.
- The Kansas attorney general can file a lawsuit to prevent such LLC from conducting business in the state.
- Such a business LLC will be accountable for costs and penalties for all years it was supposed to be registered but wasn’t.
However, the LLC’s contracts will not be invalidated or prevented from defending a lawsuit in Kansas if it is not registered.
Kansas Consumer Protection Act
The Deceptive Acts and Practices under the Kansas Consumer Protection Act state that no business entity shall engage in any deceptive act or trade practice in connection with a consumer transaction. Any such prohibited act is strictly regulated by the State and is penalized.
How Fast Can You Obtain EIN for Foreign LLC in Kansas
An EIN for foreign LLC in Kansas can be obtained by immediately if applying online and by mail or fax it may take up to 1 week.
Starting a business in the United States can be exciting, but amidst the numerous tasks that require attention, obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for a foreign Limited Liability Company (LLC) can often seem like yet another bureaucratic hurdle. While each state operates at its own pace, today we will be focusing on how quickly one can obtain an EIN for a foreign LLC in the state of Kansas.
Kansas, known for its Midwestern charm and entrepreneurial spirit, is a popular destination for businesses seeking growth and opportunity. Regardless of whether you are a Kansas resident or a foreign entrepreneur looking to establish an LLC in the state, obtaining an EIN is a crucial step.
At this point, you may be wondering, what exactly is an EIN and why is it necessary? An EIN, also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is a unique nine-digit identification number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to businesses operating in the United States. This number is necessary for various reasons, such as filing taxes, opening a business bank account, and hiring employees.
Now, let’s delve into the timeframe for acquiring an EIN for a foreign LLC in Kansas. The good news is that the process is straightforward and efficient. To obtain an EIN, foreign LLCs are required to complete Form SS-4, the Application for Employer Identification Number, through the IRS’s website. Luckily, this can be done online, making it easily accessible regardless of your location.
The IRS typically processes EIN applications quickly, often within one business day of submitting the form. However, it’s important to keep in mind that factors beyond the control of the state of Kansas or the applicant may affect the actual timeline. For example, IRS offices may experience occasional delays due to higher application volumes or unforeseen circumstances. Therefore, it’s advisable to allow for a reasonable amount of time to ensure a smooth process.
It’s worth noting that apart from the IRS application, Kansas also requires foreign LLCs to register with the Secretary of State’s office. This additional step ensures legal compliance for doing business within the state. While this may add a bit of extra time to the overall process, it is a necessary step to establish your foreign LLC in Kansas.
The prompt and straightforward process involved in obtaining an EIN for a foreign LLC in Kansas underscores the state’s commitment to fostering an environment conducive to business growth. By making this step as efficient as possible, entrepreneurial endeavors can flourish and contribute to the economic prosperity of the state.
In conclusion, the timeframe to obtain an EIN for a foreign LLC in Kansas is relatively quick and hassle-free. By completing the necessary forms online and allowing for any potential delays beyond our control, Kansas entrepreneurs, as well as foreign business owners looking to establish a presence in the state, can move forward confidently in their endeavors. Providing businesses with an efficient process to acquire an EIN demonstrates Kansas’s commitment to supporting their growth and fostering a vibrant business ecosystem.
To obtain EIN for your foreign LLC, you have to apply for it from IRS. Fill up the Form-SS4 and send it via phone, fax mail or submit it online.
If you’re a self-employed individual then you do not have to obtain EIN, you can use your social security number to form an LLC.
EIN and TIN (Tax Identification Number) are the same things. IRS issues both the identification numbers to the businesses. It is an eight-digit identification number issued by the IRS.
It is not mandatory to have a third-party designee obtain EIN. A third-party designee is an individual appointed by the LLC. That person will be responsible for fill-up the form SS-4 by answering all the questions and also can receive the issued EIN if applied by phone.
Obtaining EIN for any Kansas foreign LLC is a must. This number is required to conduct business, open up a business bank account, report the Taxes to IRS, and so on. EIN is any business entity’s Social Security Number that is mandatory to transact business.