To obtain EIN for Utah foreign LLC one has to follow a few steps. Limited Liability Companies are easier to form than other structures of business. However, it is a bit tricky for the LLCs to form a foreign LLC in any of the states. There can be some restrictions for the Foreign LLCs to form a Utah LLC. Take a look at this article to know about how to obtain EIN for your foreign LLC. It will answer all your questions related to EIN, including the procedure for a foreign entity to obtain EIN, the filing cost, etc.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is a Foreign Limited Liability Company?
- What is an EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
- EIN for a Foreign Entity or Foreign LLC
- Restriction In Business For Foreign Entities In Utah
What is a Foreign Limited Liability Company?
An LLC is always formed in accordance with the state rules. The state where the LLC is formed is often referred to as the main state for the LLC. It is where the LLC has its main operational center. When the LLC business members are trying to expand the LLC & wish to form it in some other states as well, the LLC is a foreign entity in the new state. The LLC is formed in the new state will be referred to as “Foreign Entity” or “Foreign Corporation” or “Foreign LLC.” Forming the Utah Foreign LLC is easier & involves obtaining an EIN.
What is an EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
An EIN or Employer Identification Number works as a Social Security Number for your business. An EIN is a unique 9 digit identification code issued to businesses, by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the U.S.S., for tax filing & reporting purposes.
Are EIN, FTIN & FEIN the same?
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also called a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or a Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN). So, there is no difference between these three.
Why Does a Business Need EIN?
An LLC will require EIN for the following reasons:
- To file Tax returns – EIN makes it easy to file the tax returns with the IRS. The IRS uses EIN to supervise all the business finances of the LLC.
- To Hire Employees – To hire employees in the LLC, an Employer will need the EIN. EIN lets the employers set the payrolls of the employee fo every month. IRS tracks the employee’s payroll taxes with the help of the EIN.
- To maintain the corporate veil – In an event where someone has sued the LLC or has filed a lawsuit against it, the EIN protects members’ assets. EIN is an essential part of the company’s corporate veil, which differentiates the business entity from its members.
- To protect the individual Identity of the member – The Limited Liability Company uses EON for all its taxation & finances. Nowhere in the financial process does an LLC use an individual’s Social Security Number; hence the Identity of individual members is kept safe.
- To open a business bank account – Without the EIN, an LLC can’t open a business account. It is essential to get an EIN even for the business credits & business licenses.
When Does IRS Ask for EIN (Employer Identification Number)?
The taxation documents & reports are filed with the IRS, which requires an LLC about its EIN in the following circumstances.
- An EIN is mandatory for an LLC with employees for tax filing & tax returns.
- If the LLC is a multi-member business entity, EIN is required for drawing the partnership return files.
- An EIN is also asked for excise tax filing.
EIN for a Foreign Entity or Foreign LLC
If someone is a foreign person or if the LLC is a foreign LLC, EIN allows them to start the LLC even without the Social Security Number. EIN allows the member of the foreign LLC to collect a payment, distribute the cash in the company & out of the company, hire employees & report or file taxes.
How to Obtain EIN for a Foreign LLC or a Foreign-Owned Corporation?
Following is a step-by-step guide for obtaining an EIN for a Foreign LLC:
- Eligibility – Any person applying for the EIN must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number, e.g., SSN or ITIN; only then can he apply for EIN.
- FORM SS-4 – If a foreign entity does not have a Tax Identification Number, it will have to fill-up the Form SS-4, an EIN application. This form is for foreign applicants who do not have a social security number or a physical address
- Filing the form with the required information – To be able to apply for the EIN, the following information has to be filled out correctly in the application form:
– Legal Name & Address of the Business
– The type of Business Entity
– Reason for the application for an EIN- The name of the country where the business is incorporated
– Number of employees
– The industry in which the LLC does its business
– Accounting Information
- Ways to apply for EIN Utah–
- Online – An EIN can be obtained by applying online on the IRS website.
- By phone – A foreign entity or LLC can apply for EIN by calling on 267-941-1099, which is NOT a toll-free number.
- By Fax – An EIN can also be obtained by fax. The LLC willing to obtain the EIN can fax Form SS-4 to 304-707-9471
- By Mail – A completed form can be mailed to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Attn: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999.
Restriction In Business For Foreign Entities In Utah
As per the Utah Limited Liability Company Act, a foreign company should mandatorily register itself with the State of Utah if it intends on starting its foreign business operations in the State.
Transacting Business In The State of Utah
Further, post the incorporation of LLCs, the position of the foreign LLCs concerning taxation should also be determined. As per the State practice, the foreign LLCs must collect state sales taxes in their home state. A business LLC shall be liable to collect State sales tax in the State of Utah if they have a physical presence in—or a connection with—the State, for instance, if a foreign LLC opens a store, an office, or a warehouse in Utah, or hires a sales representative there, it is regarded to have a physical presence in Utah.
Registering The Business
Foreign business LLC must file an Application for Authority to Conduct Affairs with the Utah Division of Corporations in order to register as a foreign corporation in Utah.
The Utah Department of Commerce requires a certificate of good standing or Certificate of Existence from the home state in order to approve a foreign qualification application. The Certificate must be issued within 90 days of the date of the registration application. In addition, the foreign entity must designate and keep a registered agent in Utah who shall act as the official communication point of the firm with the State authorities.
Effect Of Non-Registration
If the Utah Foreign LLC starts its business without registration with the Secretary of State office, then it shall have to undergo the following situations:
- Such a Utah foreign LLC shall not be permitted to initiate a legal action, suit, or maintain a proceeding in the Court of Law in the State. Unless the LLC has first registered with the Utah Secretary of State, it shall lose its right to legal representation.
- Because the LLC performed its business in the State without a formal registration, thus a member of such a foreign LLC shall not be held liable for the limited liability company’s obligations and liabilities.
- Nevertheless, the failure of a foreign LLC to register in Utah does not affect the legitimacy of any contract or activity entered into by the corporation, nor does it prevent the corporation from defending any action, suit, or process brought in this State’s courts.
Utah Deceptive Trade Act
While Utah has not yet embraced the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, it has established several legislations prohibiting businesses from adopting prohibited trade practices and willfully deceiving its consumers. The State-enforced Consumer Protection and Criminal sections protect Utah consumers from deceptive, misleading, and false advertising tactics and forms. Any individual who has been defrauded or is likely to be violated, and the State can bring a lawsuit against such violators to restrict such businesses.
How Fast Can You Obtain EIN for Foreign LLC in Utah
An EIN for foreign LLC in Utah can be obtained by immediately if applying online and by mail or fax it may take up to 1 week.
Fast and Efficient Process for Obtaining EIN for Foreign LLCs in Utah
Establishing a business in the United States, particularly as a foreign entity, can be an intimidating task with numerous complexities to consider. Whether it is due to the attractive market opportunities or the thriving business environment, foreign limited liability companies (LLCs) are increasingly looking towards Utah to set up their operations. However, amidst the excitement and planning, it is important not to overlook one crucial step in this journey – obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your foreign LLC.
The process of obtaining an EIN might seem daunting initially, but Utah provides a rather straightforward and efficient method for foreign LLCs to obtain this important identification number. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has made the process quite convenient by offering various ways to obtain an EIN, with online application being the most user-friendly and expedient option.
In order to obtain an EIN, a foreign LLC must have a responsible party with a valid Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), Social Security Number (SSN), or an EIN. Additionally, foreign LLCs are required to appoint a registered agent in Utah to safeguard their interests and ensure compliance with Utah’s regulations.
Once these preliminary requirements are met, the process of acquiring an EIN for foreign LLCs involves filling out Form SS-4 provided by the IRS. This form requests information about the LLC’s structure, purpose, employees (if any), and other essential details. The completed form can be submitted through various means, including online submission, fax, or by mail directly to the IRS. Each of these methods has its own advantages, but online submission is generally the fastest and most efficient way for foreign LLCs operating in Utah to obtain an EIN.
Regardless of the method chosen, it is important to ensure that the provided information is accurate and free of errors. Any inconsistency or inaccuracies could potentially delay the processing time and hinder your progress. Paying close attention to details is fundamental, as the consequences of incorrect information could impact the smooth functioning of your business in the future.
Utah’s efficient EIN application process enables foreign LLCs to receive their tax ID in a prompt manner. Official communication regarding the EIN is usually sent by email within hours of submitting the application. This streamlined procedure allows entrepreneurs to focus on other crucial aspects of setting up their businesses rather than spending prolonged periods wrestling with paperwork.
Successful entrepreneurs around the world often value efficiency, speed, and reliability while conducting business operations. Utah’s user-friendly approach to assisting foreign LLCs in obtaining an EIN epitomizes these values. By keeping the process simple, systematic, and easily accessible, the state of Utah is demonstrating its commitment to fostering entrepreneurship and welcoming foreign investment.
Moreover, Utah sets a strong example for other states and countries that endeavor to attract foreign businesses. By providing aspiring entrepreneurs with a smooth and efficient EIN application process, Utah is enhancing its appeal as a destination for international investments, fostering business growth, and contributing to the overall economic prosperity of the region.
In conclusion, the process for obtaining an EIN for foreign LLCs in Utah is streamlined and efficient. Utah’s commitment to supporting foreign businesses is exemplified in its straightforward application process, facilitating prompt accessibility to the necessary identification number. This ease of obtaining an EIN sets a remarkable precedent and ought to encourage other states and nations to contemplate similar measures as they seek to attract foreign investments.
To obtain EIN for your foreign LLC, you have to apply for it from IRS. Fill up the Form-SS4 and send it via phone, fax mail or submit it online.
If you’re a self-employed individual then you do not have to obtain EIN, you can use your social security number to form an LLC.
EIN and TIN (Tax Identification Number) are the same things. IRS issues both the identification numbers to the businesses. It is an eight-digit identification number issued by the IRS.
It is not mandatory to have a third-party designee obtain EIN. A third-party designee is an individual appointed by the LLC. That person will be responsible for fill-up the form SS-4 by answering all the questions and also can receive the issued EIN if applied by phone.
Obtaining EIN for any Utah foreign LLC is a must. This number is required to conduct business, open up a business bank account, report the Taxes to IRS, and so on. EIN is any business entity’s Social Security Number that is mandatory to transact business.