Nebraska is one of the states where a Limited Liability Company must publish a notice for a specific period of time as soon as the Nebraska LLC is formed. To do so, the LLCs must follow some rules the State of Nebraska set. In this article, you read about the Nebraska publication requirements for an LLC. Read this guide to know the requirements in detail.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
Nebraska Publication Requirements
In Nebraska, after filing the formation documents with the Nebraska Secretary of State, every LLC has to publish a notice in the newspaper for a certain period of time. As the publication run ends, the LLC can start operating in the state. Here are the requirements for Nebraska LLC publication,
Requirements – What to Do
- Every LLC in Nebraska has to meet the publication requirements after forming the LLC.
- This “Notice of Organization” should be published for 3 weeks consecutively.
- Newspapers LLCs would choose should be approved by the Nebraska State.
- After 3 weeks, LLCs must file the Form of Publication Compliance with the Secretary of State, Nebraska.
What to Include in The Notice
The notice LLCs have to publish needs to have the following information,
- LLC name
- Name of the Nebraska Registered Agent
- Address of the Registered Agent
- Address of the LLC (if it is different from the address of the registered agent)
- Whether your LLC is a professional LLC or not.
- Whether it is a manager-managed or member-managed LLC
- If it is member-managed then the name and address of all members. OR
- If it is manager-managed then the name and address of the manager(s).
As mentioned above, LLCs should choose a newspaper that is approved by the Nebraska Secretary of State. These newspapers should be legal and in circulation. There are a number of newspapers in Nebraska to publish your notice. The newspaper should meet the following requirements,
- It must be a legal paper (publish legal news)
- It must be in circulation in the county your LLC is located in.
- It must be published around the year every week (i.e., 52 times in one year straight)
Choose your newspaper wisely to get the job done as well as save some money. You can find more details on the Newspapers in Nebraska from Nebraska Press Association and Nebraska Newspaper Locator.
Cost of Publication in Nebraska
The cost of publication varies depending on the newspaper you are selecting. The cost can start from $40 and go up to $250. Generally, newspapers charge per line, sometimes per inch, and sometimes change a flat rate for any notice. It is recommended to select a newspaper that charges a flat rate. The rate also depends on the location. For example, smaller counties in Nebraska have less cost than the larger counties in Nebraska.
If you want to hire a professional service for your LLC formation, you might get this service at a lesser price. You can explore the best LLC services to know about the professionals.
Effect of Non-compliance
Like other states, Nebraska does not have a strict effect on the LLCs for non-complying with the requirement. However, as it is one of the important rules of the State, LLCs should comply with the publication requirements. It is obvious that failing to comply with the requirements can bring adverse effects on the LLCs. It could be a heavy load of penalties or can lead to shutting down the LLC.
After the Publication of LLC Formation
Once the Notice of Organization is published for 3 weeks in the legal newspaper, you will receive a Proof of Publication or Affidavit of Publication. This document is proof that you complied with the publication requirements in Nebraska.
Once you receive the Affidavit, you can file it along with the form of publication notice to the Nebraska Secretary of State. You can file the documents online. Here’s how to do it,
- To file the publication affidavit, go to the Online Filing Page of Nebraska SOS.
- You will get the form you must fill out with the correct information.
- Search for the “Existing Entity filing” and put the Account Number that you have in your formation document. You will be able to get the form to upload the affidavit.
- Submit the form along with uploading the Affidavit copy to the portal.
In Nebraska, all the LLCs have to publish a notice of LLC formation in a state-approved newspaper. It should run for three weeks consecutively. This is a mandatory requirement for all the LLCs that are formed in the state of Nebraska.
Within 60 days of the formation, LLCs have to go for publication. If they fail to comply, they will get another 30 days extension to get it done, or else, the LLC will be terminated.
The publication cost depends on the newspaper LLC is selecting. The cost varies from $50 to $250 on average. In smaller counties, the cost is less than the larger counties.
As soon as your formation process is done, the publication must be done too. Else, you can lose your LLC in Nebraska. It is recommended that you hire an LLC service provider to take care of all these things for you. If you have any questions do let us know by commenting below. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback.