District of Columbia Bar Exam Statistics

Steve Goldstein
Steve Goldstein
Business Formation Expert
Steve Goldstein runs LLCBuddy, helping entrepreneurs set up their LLCs easily. He offers clear guides, articles, and FAQs to simplify the process. His team keeps everything accurate and current, focusing on state rules, registered agents, and compliance. Steve’s passion for helping businesses grow makes LLCBuddy a go-to resource for starting and managing an LLC.

All Posts by Steve Goldstein →
Business Formation Expert  |   Fact Checked by Editorial Staff
Last updated: 
LLCBuddy™ offers informative content for educational purposes only, not as a substitute for professional legal or tax advice. We may earn commissions if you use the services we recommend on this site.
At LLCBuddy, we don't just offer information; we provide a curated experience backed by extensive research and expertise. Led by Steve Goldstein, a seasoned expert in the LLC formation sector, our platform is built on years of hands-on experience and a deep understanding of the nuances involved in establishing and running an LLC. We've navigated the intricacies of the industry, sifted through the complexities, and packaged our knowledge into a comprehensive, user-friendly guide. Our commitment is to empower you with reliable, up-to-date, and actionable insights, ensuring you make informed decisions. With LLCBuddy, you're not just getting a tutorial; you're gaining a trustworthy partner for your entrepreneurial journey.

District of Columbia Bar Exam Statistics 2023: Facts about Bar Exam in District of Columbia reflect the current socio-economic condition of the state.


LLCBuddy editorial team did hours of research, collected all important statistics on District of Columbia Bar Exam, and shared those on this page. Our editorial team proofread these to make the data as accurate as possible. We believe you don’t need to check any other resources on the web for the same. You should get everything here only 🙂

Are you planning to start a District of Columbia LLC business in 2023? Maybe for educational purposes, business research, or personal curiosity, whatever it is – it’s always a good idea to gather more information.

How much of an impact will District of Columbia Bar Exam Statistics have on your day-to-day? or the day-to-day of your LLC Business? How much does it matter directly or indirectly? You should get answers to all your questions here.

Please read the page carefully and don’t miss any words.

Top District of Columbia Bar Exam Statistics 2023

☰ Use “CTRL+F” to quickly find statistics. There are total 13 District Of Columbia Bar Exam Statistics on this page 🙂

District Of Columbia Bar Exam “Latest” Statistics

  • Typically, the pass rates for the District of Columbia bar exam range from 33% to 58% for all test takers, from 52% to 91% for first timers, and from 11% to 52% for repeat test takers.[1]
  • Nationally, the 2020 class of W&L graduates passed the bar examinations in all 50 states with a 92.59% success rate.[2]
  • For first time test takers in Virginia, W&L graduates from the class of 2018 achieved a 96.55% (28/29) bar passing percentage in July 2018.[2]
  • Bar passage rate 189 UDC law ranks 18.9 in terms of bar passage rate among first-time test takers 38.5% and it underperforms by -31.6% the district of Columbia’s overall bar passage rate of 70.1% .[3]
  • The MPT is weighted 20% , the MEE is weighted 30% , and the MBE is weighted 50% for the district of Columbia bar test.[1]
  • The July 2018 D.C. bar exam results had a pass rate of 67%. This was down from 72% the year before. (Between July 2010 and July 2016, the July pass rate has hovered between 33% and 53%.)[2]
  • UDC Law ranks 189 in terms of bar passage rate among first-time test takers (38.5%), and it underperforms by -31.6% the District of Columbia’s overall bar passage rate of 70.1%.[3]

District Of Columbia Bar Exam “Exam” Statistics

  • A total of 76.3% of nearly 1,700 test takers passed, up from 69% of about 1,800 examinees in July 2019 in District of Columbia.[4]
  • According to the Maryland State Board of Law examiners, test takers passed the exam on average in October at a rate of 70% , a little increase from the overall pass percentage of 68.4% in July 2019. On the other hand, a total of 76.3% of nearly 1,700 test takers passed in District of Columbia.[4]
  • When a one-day exam was offered online for the first time there in mid October, the sunshine state recorded a 71.7% pass percentage for first.[4]

District Of Columbia Bar Exam “Other” Statistics

  • All UBE score transfer applicants must have a UBE score of at least 266 and an MPRE minimum score of 75 in addition to meeting all other requirements before they can be certified for admission.[2]
  • The Nationwide Bar Exam passing percentage for W&L class of 2018 graduates was 89% in all states.[2]
  • Since February 2014, Civil procedure has been assessed as a component or as a whole essay more than 71% of the time.[5]

Also Read

How Useful is District of Columbia Bar Exam

One of the primary criticisms of the District of Columbia Bar Exam is that it may not adequately test the practical skills that lawyers need to be successful in their careers. The exam is heavily focused on testing knowledge of legal concepts and principles, which are important, but may not be sufficient to assess a lawyer’s ability to effectively represent clients or navigate the complexities of the legal system.

Additionally, the format of the exam – a combination of multiple-choice questions and essay questions – may not fully capture the range of skills and knowledge that lawyers need to possess. Some argue that a more holistic assessment, such as a clinical or skills-based exam, would provide a more accurate measure of a candidate’s abilities.

Another criticism of the District of Columbia Bar Exam is that it may place unnecessary barriers on entry to the legal profession. The exam is notoriously difficult, with a pass rate that is often lower than other jurisdictions. This can serve as a barrier to entry for aspiring lawyers, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds who may already face challenges in accessing legal education and training.

Critics of the exam also point out that the steep costs associated with preparing for and taking the exam can be prohibitive for many candidates. From study materials to exam fees, the financial burden of the bar exam can be a significant barrier for individuals who are already facing significant student loan debt from law school.

In addition to these practical concerns, some argue that the District of Columbia Bar Exam may not be a comprehensive measure of a candidate’s fitness to practice law. There are many qualities that make a successful lawyer, including empathy, critical thinking, and effective communication skills, that may not be fully captured by a standardized exam.

Despite these criticisms, supporters of the District of Columbia Bar Exam argue that it serves a valuable purpose in ensuring that lawyers are competent and qualified to represent their clients. They point to the rigorous nature of the exam as evidence that only the most qualified individuals are able to pass, and that this ensures a high standard of legal practice in the District.

Ultimately, the debate over the usefulness of the District of Columbia Bar Exam is a complex and multifaceted one. While the exam may have its shortcomings, it is clear that ensuring the competency of lawyers is a crucial goal for the legal profession. As the legal landscape continues to evolve, it will be important for stakeholders to continue to assess the effectiveness of the bar exam in preparing lawyers for the realities of modern legal practice.


  1. ibarexam – https://ibarexam.com/district-of-columbia-bar-exam/
  2. wlu – https://law.wlu.edu/about-wandl-law/aba-required-disclosures
  3. ilrg – https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view/169
  4. bloomberglaw – https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business-and-practice/d-c-bar-exam-passage-rate-rises-for-first-ever-online-test
  5. uworld – https://legal.uworld.com/resources/bar-exam/states/dc-bar-exam/
  6. dcappeals – https://admissions.dcappeals.gov/allnews.action
  7. jdadvising – https://jdadvising.com/when-will-the-july-2021-washington-d-c-bar-exam-results-be-released/

Leave a Comment