At LLCBuddy, we don't just offer information; we provide a curated experience backed by extensive research and expertise. Led by Steve Goldstein, a seasoned expert in the LLC formation sector, our platform is built on years of hands-on experience and a deep understanding of the nuances involved in establishing and running an LLC. We've navigated the intricacies of the industry, sifted through the complexities, and packaged our knowledge into a comprehensive, user-friendly guide. Our commitment is to empower you with reliable, up-to-date, and actionable insights, ensuring you make informed decisions. With LLCBuddy, you're not just getting a tutorial; you're gaining a trustworthy partner for your entrepreneurial journey.
Are you looking to expand your business operations or secure financing for your company in New Jersey? One essential document you’ll need in such situations is the Standing Certificate. This certificate is an official document issued by the state authorities to confirm that your business is compliant with state regulations and requirements. The Standing Certificate is one of the most important documents your business needs. Whether it is the New Jersey LLC filing or a corporation or any other form of business, the Standing Certificate must be obtained.
We will share the in and out of New Jersey Standing Certificate in this article. We’ll also discuss the various scenarios when you might need this certificate and provide helpful tips to ensure your business remains in good standing with the New Jersey authorities. We recommend you read the article on how to get New Jersey Standing Certificate till the end. Let’s dive in and get your business one step closer to achieving its goals!
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is Standing Certificate in New Jersey
- How to Obtain New Jersey Standing Certificate
- Why Do You Need a Standing Certificate
What is Standing Certificate in New Jersey
The Standing Certificate is a document that every business in New Jersey requires to obtain. This document states that the company (LLC, Corporation, Partnership, etc.) complies with the State government. In other words, the business has fulfilled all the legal requirements in New Jersey. Whether you form an LLC or any other form of business, you must get this document.
If you take your business to a different state, your Standing Certificate will be a necessary document to be produced. It shows that your business does not have any illegitimate or outlawed activities.
What Information You Have in New Jersey Standing Certificate
The Standing Certificate consists of very pivotal information related to your business. Following is the information your Standing Certificate will have-
- The entity type (LLC, Corporation, LLP, LP, or any other registered entity type) when it was formed
- The date of filing the business entity (filing the formation document).
- The current name and address of the business entity
- Whether the business entity exists today
- Name and address of the Resident Agent
- The State where the document is issued
- A declaration that the business entity has paid all the required taxes and complies with all applicable legal requirements.
- A declaration that the business entity met all the requirements to get the document.
Who Should Obtain the Standing Certificate
Any business entity, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), a Corporation, a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), a Limited Partnership (LP), or any other registered business structure in New Jersey is eligible to obtain the Standing Certificate. Anyone with a sole proprietorship does not need to obtain the Standing Certificate because sole proprietorship companies do not have to register their business.
How to Obtain New Jersey Standing Certificate
The Secretary of State issues this document. To obtain the Standing Certificate, you must fill out the form and send it to the New Jersey SOS along with the required filing fees. There is some information you will need to enter while submitting the form. Here are the points to add-
Step 1: Get the Form
The first thing you need to do is get the form. The form is available on the state SOS website. You can download the form and mail it or submit it online. The following points are required to mention in the form-
Details of The Requester: The first information you need to provide is the detail of the requester. Provide your full name, address (which can be your business address), and phone number.
Name of Your Business: Provide the exact name of your business. Make sure no spelling mistakes are made. The spelling must be the same as mentioned in the Certificate of Formation. Besides the name, provide the company registration number or file number. The SOS issues this number after you file the Certificate of Formation. This is not mandatory, but it is recommended to share the file number to get the process done quickly.
Details of Return Method: The certificate can be collected in person or by mail from New Jersey SOS. If you request the document in person, you can take the return in person or by mail. Choose which way you want it.
Copies of the Certificate: You can request the number of copies of the certificate from SOS. There is a box in the form you need to check for multiple copies of this document. You can obtain more than one copy of the Certificate of Compliance for various purposes. It is recommended to get more copies of the certificate for future use.
Fax Copy of the Certificate: You might get a Fax copy before receiving the certificate’s hard copy. This is one of the options available in some of the states. If you want to receive the fax copy of the certificate, you must provide the fax number while filing the form.
Copies of Other Documents: If you want, you can request copies of other documents filed with the SOS. Other documents include the New Jersey Certificate of Formation for LLCs, Certificate of Incorporation, amendments, and other registered documents with the SOS. This is optional and you can avoid this. With every copy you request, you must pay a stipulated fee.
Step 2: Submit the Form
You can submit the form online, by mail, or in person, whichever is available and more convenient. Send the form to the New Jersey Division of Revenue, P.O. Box 308, Trenton, NJ 08646 for offline filing. You can also submit the form online. For that, you must go to the New Jersey SOS official website and search for the appropriate form.
Step 3: Filing Fee and Processing Time
A filing fee must be paid to the SOS to obtain the Standing Certificate. The amount depends on the number of copies you request. If you request other document copies, you might pay an additional fee for that.
Processing Time: The Standing Certificate’s processing time varies from state to state. Also, it depends on the expedited filing as well. It can take a few days to a few months to obtain the Standing Certificate in New Jersey.
Step 4: Receive the Standing Certificate
Once you submit the form and the necessary filing fee, your forms start processing. The process might take a lot of time. If you do not want to wait, you can check with the New Jersey SOS if they have expedited filing or not. In New Jersey, it can take up to a few months to receive the Standing Certificate.
Why Do You Need a Standing Certificate
The Standing Certificate in New Jersey is a character certificate of any business. Obtaining this document makes your business legitimate officially. You need this document every now and then while making business decisions. You must obtain the document for the following reasons,
- To get business loans and advances or investors
- To get business bank accounts
- To purchase insurance for business coverage
- To renew licenses & permits
- To set up your business in other states, for example, a Foreign LLC.
- To sell or transfer your business completely or partially to another.
- To get into a legal business contract with other businesses or clients.
The document is required as much as the formation document. Hence, obtaining the New Jersey Standing Certificate is needed.
- Get Alabama Certificate of Compliance
- Get Alaska Certificate of Compliance
- Get Arizona Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Arkansas Certificate of Good Standing
- Get California Certificate of Status
- Get Colorado Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Connecticut Certificate of Legal Existence
- Get DC Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Delaware Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Florida Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Georgia Certificate of Existence
- Get Hawaii Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Idaho Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Illinois Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Indiana Certificate of Existence
- Get Iowa Certificate of Standing
- Get Kansas Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Kentucky Certificate of Existence
- Get Louisiana Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Maine Certificate of Existence
- Get Maryland Certificate of Status
- Get Massachusetts Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Michigan Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Minnesota Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Mississippi Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Missouri Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Montana Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Nebraska Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Nevada Certificate of Good Standing
- Get New Hampshire Certificate of Good Standing
- Get New Jersey Standing Certificate
- Get New Mexico Certificate of Good Standing
- Get New York Certificate of Status
- Get North Carolina Certificate of Existence
- Get North Dakota Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Ohio Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Oklahoma Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Oregon Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Pennsylvania Subsistence Certificate
- Get Rhode Island Certificate of Good Standing
- Get South Carolina Certificate of Existence
- Get South Dakota Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Tennessee Certificate of Existence
- Get Texas Certificate of Fact – Status
- Get Utah Certificate of Existence
- Get Vermont Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Virginia Certificate of Good Standing
- Get Washington Certificate of Existence
- Get West Virginia Certificate of Existence
- Get Wisconsin Certificate of Status
- Get Wyoming Certificate of Good Standing
The Standing Certificate is a vital document for any business entity in New Jersey, as it enables you to expand your operations throughout the United States. It’s essential to provide accurate and truthful information in this document. If you plan to establish the same business in another state, obtaining a Standing Certificate is necessary.