Change Registered Agent in California: A registered agent in California is a point of contact between your LLC and the state. You must appoint a Registered Agent when you form an LLC in California. At any point in time, you might need to replace/change your Agent for Service of Process in California. When it comes to changing the registered agent in California, it is a straightforward method. To change your Agent for Service of Process in California, one has to submit the statement of change of the Agent for Service of Process. It can be filed online or by mail.
In this article, you will learn how to change registered agent in California. Also, you will get to learn when and why you have to change your Agent for Service of Process, appointed for your California LLC.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
What is Agent for Service of Process in California
The California Agent for Service of Process, appointed by the limited liability company, is a person who receives all the legal documents on your company’s behalf. To become a registered agent in California, one must meet the following requirements,
- The person must be or above 18 years old
- The person has to be a permanent resident of California
- The person should have a legal permit to conduct business in California
- The person must be available during business hours at the designated office address in California
You can also be your own registered agent in California. However, it is not wise to be your own agent as it can divert your attention from the core of your business.
How to Change a Registered Agent in California
To change the Agent for Service of Process in California, one has to file the statement of change of the registered agent. You must pay the filing fee of $20 to complete your application. To file for the Statement of Change of Registered Agent and Registered Office Address with the California Secretary of State, you can opt for any of the following methods:
To file the statement of change of registered agent in California online, you must search for the appropriate online form. You can file your change of Agent for Service of Process statement online if the online form is available through the Secretary of State. Follow the below-given instructions:
- Visit the California Secretary of State’s official website
- Log in to the portal using your credentials.
- You will find the ‘Update’ option in your dashboard if the online update option is available.
- Click on the ‘update’ option to find the ‘registration’ option.
- You will get an online form (or in PDF format)
- Fill out the form (or download it on your PC, then fill it out) with the old and new registered agent’s details.
- Submit (or upload) the completed form to the portal.
- In the next section, you will get payment details (if applicable) and pay the fees using a credit card.
Your online updation is done! It takes some time to update the details on the portal. Once it is updated, your new registered agent can start conducting business on your behalf.
Filing Through Mail or In-person
If you want to file the statement of change of registered agent via mail or in person (if available), then you should follow the rules. For in-person or mail filings, you need to download the California Cover Sheet Submission (PDF) from the official website of the California Secretary of State. Complete the form by filling in all the information about the LLC and both (new and existing) registered agents. The form has to be signed by the new registered agent. This will provide the consent of the new agent. Once completed, submit it to the below-mentioned address:
|Important Links||Submit Offline Form|
|Change of Registered Agent – Online|
California Cover Sheet Submission – PDF
California Registered Agent – Requirement
|Secretary of State, Business Entities Filings, P.O. Box 944228, Sacramento, CA 94244|
Fee: The filing fee charged for changing the California registered agent is $20. This fee will be paid to the California Secretary of State by check or credit card.
If you hire a Registered Agent service, filing the Statement of Change would be much easier. Also, the registered agent will help you with the consent letter the new registered agent has to sign. LLCBuddy editorial team suggests a list of the best LLC services that offer registered agent services. Some of them offer standalone registered agent services.
Recommended: You can get the best registered agent service at a reasonable price with online LLC service providers. We recommend using –
LegalZoom Registered Agent – $299 Per Year
Registered Agent Consent Letter in California
The registered Agent’s Consent letter is a document that a new registered agent must submit along with the formation document. It is a statement that the agent submits upon agreeing to work with the LLC. When you change the Agent for Service of Process, you must also submit the consent letter signed by the new agent. In many states, submitting the Change of Registered Agent form does the job; sending any additional consent document to the SOS is unnecessary. However, there are many states where you must submit the consent letter separately and pay a certain fee (if applicable). This consent must include the following details-
- LLC name
- A letter that says the person gives consent to serve the LLC as a registered agent
- The execution date
- Name of the registered agent
- Signature of the registered agent
In California, there is a separate document, the Submission of Cover Sheet has to be sent to the SOS along with the change of registered agent form. You must get the Submission Cover Sheet, fill it out, and submit it to the SOS. The agent must sign the form or self-attest. It is proof that the new Agent for Service of Process has given the nod to provide their services to the LLC. An additional filing fee (or expedited fee) might be charged. Check California Secretary of State for fee details.
Why Do You Need to Change a Registered Agent in California
There can be several reasons why LLCs want to change their registered agent in California. Some of the main and most important reasons are listed below,
Be Your Own Registered Agent
A very common reason is that if anyone wants to be his/her own registered agent. Any LLC owner can be the registered agent himself/herself as per the California Secretary of State. So, you may want to change the registered agent and become one yourself for your LLC. In that case, you must submit the change form with your details.
Want to Hire a Professional Registered Agent
You may have designated yourself or someone from the family as the registered agent for your LLC in the initial phase. But with expansion in business, your roles and responsibilities also expand. You may not be present at the office during working hours. And a registered agent is required to be available in the office. So, you must hire a registered agent who could replace you.
Existing Registered Agent Resigns
If your current registered agent resigns or your service provider is out of business, you can change your Registered Agent in California. You must change the registered agent if the existing one resigns or is out of service.
Forming foreign LLC
This is to be noted that a person is eligible to be a California Agent for Service of Process only if they are the California resident. So, if you are forming a foreign LLC in California, you might need to change your registered agent because not all registered agents are eligible to work in different states.
- Change Registered Agent in Alabama
- Change Registered Agent in Alaska
- Change Registered Agent in Arizona
- Change Registered Agent in Arkansas
- Change Registered Agent in California
- Change Registered Agent in Colorado
- Change Registered Agent in Connecticut
- Change Registered Agent in DC
- Change Registered Agent in Delaware
- Change Registered Agent in Florida
- Change Registered Agent in Georgia
- Change Registered Agent in Hawaii
- Change Registered Agent in Idaho
- Change Registered Agent in Illinois
- Change Registered Agent in Indiana
- Change Registered Agent in Iowa
- Change Registered Agent in Kansas
- Change Registered Agent in Kentucky
- Change Registered Agent in Louisiana
- Change Registered Agent in Maine
- Change Registered Agent in Maryland
- Change Registered Agent in Massachusetts
- Change Registered Agent in Michigan
- Change Registered Agent in Minnesota
- Change Registered Agent in Mississippi
- Change Registered Agent in Missouri
- Change Registered Agent in Montana
- Change Registered Agent in Nebraska
- Change Registered Agent in Nevada
- Change Registered Agent in New Hampshire
- Change Registered Agent in New Jersey
- Change Registered Agent in New Mexico
- Change Registered Agent in New York
- Change Registered Agent in North Carolina
- Change Registered Agent in North Dakota
- Change Registered Agent in Ohio
- Change Registered Agent in Oklahoma
- Change Registered Agent in Oregon
- Change Registered Agent in Pennsylvania
- Change Registered Agent in Rhode Island
- Change Registered Agent in South Carolina
- Change Registered Agent in South Dakota
- Change Registered Agent in Tennessee
- Change Registered Agent in Texas
- Change Registered Agent in Utah
- Change Registered Agent in Vermont
- Change Registered Agent in Virginia
- Change Registered Agent in Washington
- Change Registered Agent in West Virginia
- Change Registered Agent in Wisconsin
- Change Registered Agent in Wyoming
Why Change Registered Agent in California is So Important
Why Change Registered Agent in California is So Important
In the world of business, change can often be a daunting prospect. From changing company structures to altering strategies, every decision carries a significant degree of risk. This is why entrepreneurs and business owners carefully assess the potential benefits before making any alterations. However, there is one change that should not be overlooked – the modification of a registered agent in California.
For those unfamiliar with the concept, a registered agent is an individual or entity designated to receive important legal and tax documents on behalf of a business. They act as a point of contact between a company and the Californian government, ensuring a smooth flow of legal information. The registered agent is crucial for maintaining good standing with the state and playing by the rules.
The primary and undeniable reason why changing a registered agent in California is so important lies in compliance requirements. As laws and regulations continually evolve, businesses need to keep up with these changes to avoid legal implications. Having a registered agent actively engaged in monitoring these adjustments offers considerable advantages. When a business fails to comply with California’s regulatory requirements, it risks facing penalties, lawsuits, and even potential liability issues. By changing registered agents promptly, a company can ensure it stays ahead of the game and avoids any unforeseen obstacles.
Moreover, while change may sometimes be unsettling, the alteration of a registered agent can provide flexibility and convenience. Businesses grow, adapt, and sometimes relocate. A company’s registered agent serves as its representative in California, thus it must be accessible and readily available when required. Whether your business has outgrown its initial registered agent’s capabilities or has simply chosen a new location, changing your agent ensures that your company’s needs continue to be effectively met.
But perhaps one of the most undervalued benefits of changing your registered agent is the opportunity it presents to evaluate your existing operations. Just like thorough audits or annual performance reviews are valuable for businesses, reevaluating your registered agent can reveal not only issues but also potential areas for improvement. By conducting a thorough assessment, businesses can identify any underlying problems or shortcomings. These could be related to responsiveness, communication, or general compatibility. Taking the opportunity to find a more suitable registered agent will certainly contribute to the long-term success and growth of the company.
In today’s fiercely competitive business landscape, adaptability is crucial. The rise and evolution of technology continue to revolutionize various aspects of the business world, and staying ahead of the curve is paramount. It’s important to remember, however, that fundamental aspects of business operations must be included in this process of adaptation. Changing a registered agent in California is but one example of how companies must be vigilant and proactive in ensuring their overall growth and adherence to relevant regulations.
Whether it’s to stay compliant, adapt to new circumstances, or simply enhance efficiency, changing your registered agent in California is not an option to be taken lightly. It’s a decision that, with the right approach, can yield numerous advantageous outcomes. By acknowledging the essential role a registered agent fulfills and staying attuned to your company’s ever-changing needs, you can keep your business on track to maintain its legal standing and continue thriving in the dynamic Californian marketplace.
During your business, you may arrive at a point where you need to change the registered agent. The need may arise when the existing agent wants to quit, or you are terminating the existing agent or expanding your business. Changing the California registered agent can be necessary in various situations. It is quite simple as it can be done online and through mail filing. This article has it all. If you have any queries about changing a registered agent, you can drop a comment below in the box.